The BSC reviewed a local contractor’s estimate of $1.043 million. The BSC explored with Tom Smith how we can cut costs to get us closer to our original budget and approved him exploring the following:
- reduce some of the curbing in the parking lot, if possible
- ask Josh Banks (civil engineer) to brainstorm other ways to cut costs on the site
- cut elevator shaft preparation in this first phase (leaving it to phase 2)
- cut out fire extinguisher cabinets; use basic brackets instead
- (possibly cut the four transom windows in the narthex)
- cut drop ceiling from the basement areas completely
- change the designation of “storage room” to something else not requiring fire rating…
- cut some of the florescent lighting…
- cut the cross being included (since Hayden quoted us $3500) and do it ourselves.
Also, the BSC approved making the apse part of the base bid, due to the $15,000 offered for the apse in designated giving. They reflected on Father’s time with the diocesan leadership and also briefly went over diocesan financial reviewer Noel Busch’s document about our building project. The members discussed ways to strengthen the document to make it more effective not only in our case, but going forward in use with other parishes. The final discussion was getting the deed restrictions formally lifted on our property. We agreed that we should pursue both the developer route and the filing of a motion with a court just to be safe.