October is a much-welcomed month for Kentuckians as the weather cools down and find ourselves in “peak fall.” In terms of church life, October’s arrival means the parish is a nice rhythm as ministries are humming along. This is a great time to visit our church and to learn more about our many ministries here. Our graphic calendar for October is at the right. (Our online google calendar can always be accessed here and is usually updated for about 3 months.) Our graphic November calendar is just below our October calendar that you see on the right. To keep abreast of all the happenings in our parish, we invite you to subscribe to our monthly parish newsletter and to our weekly parish email update.
What is the big news in the parish?
- Forward in Faith Capital Campaign Our parish leadership announced a new capital capaign, the Forward in Faith Campaign, at our Annual Parish Meeting this past September. As of Oct. 1, we are about halfway through securing the pledges we need to move forward with the two-pronged goal of our campaign: to fund a second priest position and to fully update our immediate and long-term plans for our church campus so that we are ready for healthy and sustained growth both here and in our mission communities (like St. Nina Mission in Berea.)
- Happenings with Christian Education & Formation
- Catechesis is taking place in-person for newcomers and catechumens each Wednesday night at 720-820pm (following 630pm Vespers.) This semester, Fr. Justin is teaching through St. John of Damascus’ 8th-century classic On the Orthodox Faith.
- Adult Sunday School is open to all teens and adults and is taking place for the second year entirely online, every Wednesday at 8pm. Join each week and participate via Zoom here or catch the recording on our parish YouTube channel.
- Children’s Short Sunday School (ages 3-18) lasts 20 minutes each Sunday immediately after the Liturgy and is in-person. Fellowship Hour follows after the Short Sunday School.
- Fall Regional All-Family Retreat (for all ages) in Indiana with Fr. Silviu Bunta on Saturday, Oct. 29. Full info and registration is here.
- Social & Community Events
- Young Adults (18-30) are beginning weekly gatherings each Monday night at 7pm (contact Grace for more information and lcoation.)
- Youth Group is meeting regularly once a month on Sunday afternoons, usually at the church (see schedule.)
- Our St. Elizabeth Sisterhood and St. Herman’s Brotherhood are each hosting activities in October in various locations (see calendar.)
- A Fall Parish Dance Night on November 5 to Benefit the Jessamine County Food Pantry.
Again, we welcome your visit to St. Athanasius. It is our delight to share with you the riches of the Orthodox Christian Faith–our worship of God and warm fellowship as believers! Below are some windows into church life during the previous month of September (showing parts of Baptism, our Annual Parish Meeting, various choir rehearsals, a wedding, a multi-parish Campout in Corbin, and much more…)