As the relative quietness of October gives way to November, our parish looks forward to a rich month that includes a full cycle of services, a rich schedule of social and service events, educational opportunities for all ages, as well as the Feast of Thankgiving (which we observe liturgically) and the Nativity Fast, which is the 40-day season leading up to Christmas. We invite you to visit our church and to learn more about our many ministries here. Our graphic calendar for November is at the right (with December being just below.) Our online google calendar can always be accessed here and is usually updated about 3 months in advance. To keep abreast of all the happenings in our parish, we invite you to subscribe to our monthly parish newsletter and to our weekly parish email update.
What is the big news in the parish?
- Forward in Faith Capital Campaign Our parish leadership announced a new capital capaign, the Forward in Faith Campaign, at our Annual Parish Meeting this past September. As of November 1, we are over halfway through securing the pledges we need to move forward with the two-pronged goal of our campaign: to fund a second priest position and to fully update our immediate and long-term plans for our church campus so that we are ready for healthy and sustained growth both here and in our mission communities (like St. Nina Mission in Berea.)
- Happenings with Christian Education & Formation
- Catechesis is taking place in-person for newcomers and catechumens each Wednesday night at 720-820pm (following 630pm Vespers.) This semester, Fr. Justin is teaching through St. John of Damascus’ 8th-century classic On the Orthodox Faith.
- Adult Sunday School is open to all teens and adults and is taking place for the second year entirely online, every Wednesday at 8pm. Join each week and participate via Zoom here or catch the recording on our parish YouTube channel.
- Children’s Short Sunday School (ages 3-18) lasts 20 minutes each Sunday immediately after the Liturgy and is in-person. Fellowship Hour follows after the Short Sunday School.
- Social & Community Events
- Young Adults (18-30) are beginning weekly gatherings each Monday night at 7pm (contact Grace for more information and lcoation.)
- Youth Group is meeting regularly once a month on Sunday afternoons, usually at the church (see schedule.)
- Our Men’s Night Group & St. Elizabeth Sisterhood are each gathering for various events during November (see calendars.)
Again, we welcome your visit to St. Athanasius. It is our delight to share with you the riches of the Orthodox Christian Faith–our worship of God and warm fellowship as believers! Below are some windows into church life during the previous month of October (showing some of our services, choir rehearsals, hiking trips, college ministry, Christian Education, and much more…)